I’m a journalist and aspiring polymath with a drive to explain the world. I currently work as a data visualization journalist for CityLab, where I create maps and charts, analyze data and write articles to explore America’s urban landscape. I previously worked as a political reporter in Minnesota and South Dakota, using conventional reporting and data and code to demystify government for readers.
Schedule permitting, I’m available for freelance work.
If you need any of the following things, please contact me to see about my availability:
- Journalism articles: I can report and write on any subject, with particular expertise in politics and public policy.
- Data visualization: I make maps, charts, infographics and more.
- Data analysis: I’m adept at using code to find patterns in huge datasets.
- Automation: Is there a dataset you download regularly? A map or graphic you remake all the time? I can write scripts to automate these simple tasks, saving you time.
- Research: I can dive into any topic you want and produce a report summarizing key information.
- Editing: An experienced writer, I can proofread your writing for everything from spelling errors to wording improvements to structural revisions.
- Training: Hire me to put myself out of a job! I can train you or your organization how to do any of the above — learn to code, make maps, design graphics, use Excel or more.